Re: Linking against static instead of shared libs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Linking against static instead of shared libs
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:24:58 +0100

* Benoit Sigoure wrote on Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:13:20AM CET:

> I'm trying to distribute a project that depends on several libraries and in
> order to make it easier to end users, I'd like to provide them with
> self-contained binaries linked against static libs (so that they don't have to
> install these libs).

Please add --debug before --tag, rerun with >logfile 2>&1, pack the file
with bzip2 and post it.  Also 'libtool --config'.

You don't need to do any of that if
  libtool --config | grep "^link_static_flag"

shows that the flag is empty.  In that case please look into config.log
why the static flag test was rejected.

The unreleased CVS versions of HEAD and branch-1-5 libtool have a new
flag, -static-libtool-libs, which links all libtool libraries
statically, both uninstalled and installed ones.  That should do what
you need, I guess.