How to avoid setting default 'libdir' in the RPATH of the binary?

From: rajesh K P
Subject: How to avoid setting default 'libdir' in the RPATH of the binary?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 04:42:51 -0700

Hi,

I'm using libtool 1.5.22, and have a problem with the RPATH setting in the
executable that I create.
This is especially a problem on Linux and AIX platforms since RPATH has highest
precedence while looking for the executables binary dependency. So I cannot
override it using env. variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LIBPATH.

When my executable links to a .la file, it is linked with the 'libdir' value in
it's RPATH. This is the behavior irrespective of whether I've any other
explicit RPATH settings defined in my makefile.

My LD flags is as follows -
myExe_LDADD = libmylib.la - L/home/user1/MyUtil/build/lib/ - lutil

Is there a way to avoid setting the default 'libdir' in the executable's RPATH
list?

Please note I do not have this problem if I do not have a .la file in the
linking list.

Regards
-KPRajesh