Re: [RFC] adding support for Linux FDPIC ELF

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [RFC] adding support for Linux FDPIC ELF
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:36:28 +0100

Hello Mike,

* Mike Frysinger wrote on Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 09:02:11PM CET:
> On Saturday 13 January 2007 04:21, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > Thanks for the patch.  Please send further patches to the
> > libtool-patches list.
>
> i wasnt ready to submit it yet as i'm not really familiar with libtool
> internals ... figured i'd get feedback first, but should i be doing that on
> the patch list still ?

I don't mind much.  But I can imagine readers of the general libtool
list not being so much interested in hashing out patch details, for
example.

> > * Mike Frysinger wrote on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 11:42:30PM CET:
> > > i'm looking to add support for Linux on the Blackfin processor ... we use
> > > FDPIC ELF as our format, so naturally it'd be nice if libtool didnt get
> > > in our way when generating shared libraries :)
> >
> > Well, for a new port it'd be nice to see how the testsuite fares on it
> > (see README for how to run it completely).
>
> that may be a problem ... this port is not self hosting as it's no-mmu

The CVS HEAD Libtool testsuite aims to be useful also in the
cross-compilation case.  You'll see a lot of skipped tests, but quite a
few of them do some useful checking before skipping.  Please post
verbose output of test failures, as described in README, and make sure
to also run the new testsuite (the check-local bit).

> > Besides a ChangeLog and NEWS entry.  ;-)
>
> again, i want to make sure i'm doing it right before i blow pointless
> time on ChangeLog and such entries

Sure.

> > Are you adding support for two separate ports here, or is this just an
> > inconsistency?
>
> well the tuples i'm looking at are:
> bfin-uclinux / bfin-linux-uclibc

That's fine, I just wanted to make sure there was no inadvertent error.
The system names that the patch eventually adds support for should be
listed in the ChangeLog.