Re: no .so file on HPUX platform?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: no .so file on HPUX platform?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:04:19 +0100

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 03:02:01AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> > * Ed Hartnett wrote on Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 05:50:38PM CET:
> >>
> >> On our HPUX platform however, no libnetcdf.so file results. Yet the
> >> build seems to work OK.
> >
> > The shared library extension should be '.sl'.  Please show
> >   ./libtool --config
> >
> > and
> >   ./libtool --features
>
> Here they are:
>
>  ./libtool --config
>
> # Whether or not to build shared libraries.
> build_libtool_libs=no
[...]

> bash-2.04$ ./libtool --features
> host: hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00
> disable shared libraries
> enable static libraries

So something decided that shared libraries were not ok.  So we need to
take a closer look what did that.  I tried to build this:

> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-daily.tar.gz

on a hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00 system using this:

> ./configure --enable-shared --enable-c-only

(but with a VPATH setup).  And I get
  enable shared libraries
  enable static libraries

and I get a nice library 'libsrc/.libs/libnetcdf.sl.4.0'.  'make check'
succeeds as well.

So, we're still at the head scratching stage.  Ed, could you provide
a build log, including config.log and configure output.  Probably that
won't even show it either, so if you have time, go and put
  set -x

in the second line of 'configure', rerun that and upload the output
somewhere.  If you must post it, be sure to bzip2-pack.