Re: 1.5 bootstrap problems

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 1.5 bootstrap problems
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:05:17 +0100

Hi Eric,

* Eric Blake wrote on Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:53:53PM CET:
> Some recent change to the 1.5 branch of libtool caused make to enter an
> infinite loop trying to generate config.status based on what I had lying
> around
> from previous incremental builds, and I gave up and just bootstrapped a clean
> checkout instead.

AFAIK this bug has been around for a long time, not just recently.
I've gotten into the habit of
  touch config.status; make

for branch-1-5 Libtool, which seems to work.  Or just using a new build
tree.  I'm not ambitious enough to look into a fix; on HEAD, things
should work better (and there I /would/ be inclined to fix issues).[1]

> In the process, I discovered that bootstrapping the branch
> is not 'make -j2' clean:

Sure, granted.  -j2 isn't going to gain you anything there, though, as
there's virtually nothing to do in parallel.  Again, on HEAD that should
be working as well.

[1] Actually, I do know of a small race on HEAD, but I haven't analyzed
it yet.  It causes `libtool' to be rebuilt early after a `cvs update',
then later the script fails its consistency check (between
macro_revision and ltmain.sh version).