Re: Libtool LynxOS support

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Libtool LynxOS support
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:35:22 +0100

Hello Olli,

* Olli Savia wrote on Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 09:23:51AM CET:

> >Could somebody please add LynxOS support to libtool.
>
> Since this did not receive great interest I tried to hack
> this myself. I think I'm pretty far now. Most of the
> tests pass:

Thanks for your work on this.  Is LynxOS before version 4 still used?
If yes, then the patch should disambiguate that and properly disable
shared library support for those older releases: that way, at least
static libraries will be built correctly there.

> 10 of 101 tests failed
> (5 tests were not run)

Please refer to the README file for how to run both the old and the new
testsuite and how to report test failures verbosely.  Please send large
output packed (bzip2, gzip), and please write to the libtool-patches
list.  Thanks.

> What I didn't figure out is how to pass -mshared flag
> to compiler when checking if dlopen is in libdl. Could
> somebody give me instructions how to do that?

Why do you need that?  You are not creating a shared library in that
case.  Please show how the test fails falsely.  Anyway, the test is in
the macro LT_SYS_DLOPEN_SELF.  Maybe you need to set
export_dynamic_flag_spec correctly?

> I have attached a patch against current CVS HEAD. Could
> somebody review changes I have made?

A quick review below.  Seeing the test failures will help to make a
better review.  Also could you point me to some good documentation about
the runtime linker and the link editor (is that in GNU binutils docs
somewhere?), that would help.  The GCC manual I'm looking at is silent
about -mshared.

> *** libltdl/m4/libtool.m4     5 Feb 2007 19:40:18 -0000       1.90
> --- libltdl/m4/libtool.m4     6 Feb 2007 09:58:34 -0000
[...]
> ***************
> *** 3427,3432 ****
> --- 3441,3450 ----
>         # Interix 3.x gcc -fpic/-fPIC options generate broken code.
>         # Instead, we relocate shared libraries at runtime.
>         ;;
> +     lynxos*)
> +       # LynxOS uses GNU C++, but need to define -mshared option too
> +       _LT_TAGVAR(lt_prog_compiler_pic, $1)='-fPIC -mshared'

Is that on purpose that you write "GNU C++" here?  I.e., do you use the
C++ compiler driver g++ for compiling all code, even C code?  If yes,
why?  (Several instances.)