Re: Compiler checks in AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Compiler checks in AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 21:20:19 +0900

On Mar 5, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Fredrik Tolf wrote:

Hi list!

I have this little problem with libtool, which I was convinced was a
common problem, but no matter what I've googled for I haven't been able
to find anything relevant, so I'm turning to the list instead.

The thing is, I'm using libtool in a couple of projects of mine, along
with autoconf and automake. Thus, I'm also using the AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
macro in my configure.in. However, it seems to have the rather nasty
habit of not only wanting to check for the g++ and g77 compilters, but
even making configure fail if they aren't present, and I have been
unable to find any way of turning that behavior off. It's quite
troubling for me not to be able to compile these programs on systems
without those compilers.

Surely, libtool doesn't actually require C++ or FORTRAN compilers? Is
there any way to make AM_PROG_LIBTOOL ignore those?

Use a newer libtool, although the stable version still checks for fortran and c++ compilers it does not error out if not present.

Peter