Re: Support for Interix 5.2 and 6.0?

From: Martin Koeppe
Subject: Re: Support for Interix 5.2 and 6.0?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:58:11 +0100 (CET)

Hello Ralf,

first of all sorry for double posting, I thought non-subscribers were simply ignored because of spam.

* Martin Koeppe wrote on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:23:02PM CET:

So please consider doing s/interix3/interix/ on libtool.m4 before releasing 1.5.23. This may have some impact on Interix 2.x, but as 3.5 is now available for free and 3.0 should work as before, it shouldn't matter that much.

Could you send a patch to the libtool-patches list (with `diff -u') that changes instances of interix3 to
  interix[3-9]

(in most cases in m4 files you will have to write
  interix[[3-9]]
due to the M4 quoting) and report the verbose test failures? Otherwise, I can post a patch this weekend, could you test it then? Extra credits if you do it for CVS HEAD as well, and its new testsuite (README knows how to use it).

please write the patch yourself, as you might want to consider changing the linker name (currently "Interix 3.x"), too. OTOH, even on 5.2 the linker is /opt/gcc.3.3/i586-pc-interix3/bin/ld, so the linker name is probably right even for 5.2. I can of course test your patch.

In between I applied my s/interix3/interix/g (all 7 occurences) to libtool.m4 and run on Interix 5.2 (for comparison also on 3.5, but there without ./bootstrap):
  ./bootstrap && ./configure && make
and then
  env VERBOSE=1 make check
with versions 1.5.22, 1.5.23c as of today.
(for 1.5.23c I had to "cd tests" first before "env VERBOSE=1 make check" as there is no target check in libltdl)
I run also 2.1a as of today:
  VERBOSE=yes make check

Find the results attached for
- 1.5.22 on 3.5
- 1.5.22 on 5.2
- 1.5.23c on 3.5
- 1.5.23c on 5.2
- 2.1a on 3.5
- 2.1a on 5.2

Another maybe minor thing: On Interix, at least since 3.5 (I don't have older versions), calling ranlib isn't needed, see:

bash$ cat `which ranlib`
#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
#
#
# Rcsid = $Id$
#
#
# /bin/ranlib is obsolete.  Only a no-op shell script is left
# as a convenience to software developers that either have
# old Makefiles or for portable Makefiles that are used across
# multiple platforms.
# The functionality of ranlib is now performed by /bin/ar
#

exit 0
bash$

So if that is easily possible, libtool shouldn't needlessly call it.

Martin