A libtool rpath issue

From: Rafal Muzylo
Subject: A libtool rpath issue
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 01:19:55 +0200

I'm not quite sure I understand what exactly is rpath for, so following
questions may sound silly.
I often build programs with prefix set to ${HOME}, that sets the libdir
to ${HOME}/lib and that makes libtool set rpath in library. Due to
having all those libraries in ${HOME}/lib, I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in
.bash_profile. Now, as I learned that libtool strips from rpath all of
sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec, I began to wonder, is there some way to have
${HOME}/lib stripped too. However, I'd like a solution that doesn't
force me to edit ltmain.sh. The responsible macro is
AC_LIBTOOL_SYS_DYNAMIC_LINKER, it sets sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec using
$CC -print-search-dirs, however it doesn't seem to respect
${LIBRARY_PATH}, as running `LIBRARY_PATH=${HOME}/lib gcc
-print-search-dirs` seems to give desired result, but
`LIBRARY_PATH=${HOME}/lib ./configure --prefix=${HOME}` does not.