Re: libstdc++.la listed in dependency_libs of a static C++ library?

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: libstdc++.la listed in dependency_libs of a static C++ library?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:18:09 +0200

Quoting Benoit Sigoure <address@hidden>:
Quoting Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:

That's not the only (or important, FWIW) issue here, though.  The
installed libstdc++.la file is broken.  Reason for that include
bugs/limitations in Libtool, bugs in GCC, and possibly in the script
that has been used to build it.  (AFAIK there is a related GCC bug
listed in their bugzilla, not sure if it was 5291 and no, please
don't expect me to do an analysis of your particular issue; if I had
the time to do that, I'd be working on the GCC bug.)

Yeah I understand, that's fine by me, I simply asked for some basic analysis
because I wasn't sure that the problem really came from ELDK.

Alright so I confirm this bug, and it's due to crosstool
(http://kegel.com/crosstool/).

I can hack the .la file or simply rebuild GCC arm-linux myself.

It's almost impossible to build a cross-compiler for ARM-linux. I tried during
3 days and ran into tons of problems (Buggy binutils, I had to heavily patch
the glibc but never succeeded in compiling a working cross-glibc, etc)

That's why I ended up using crosstool which does its job pretty nicely but
produces b0rken libstdc++.la :(

In fact, the libstdc++.la file produced works fine if and only if the resulting cross-compiler is NOT relocated. Should this really be considered as a bug WRT
libstdc++.la?  Because the whole thing works fine unless one links something
with a libtool library that has a dependency on libstdc++.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory