On Windows, $old_archive_cmds uses `lib' to create static archives.

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: On Windows, $old_archive_cmds uses `lib' to create static archives.
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:42:24 +0200

Hello list,

On Windows, when compiling with Visual C++, libtool seems to figure out
automagically that it has to create static archives with the `lib' command.

Here is a line of the libtool script:
old_archive_cmds="lib /OUT:\$oldlib\$oldobjs\$old_deplibs"

I wonder how libtool figured this out and why libtool does this since it does
not support the Microsoft toolchain anyway.

My question is: how can I override this behavior?  For instance, I can easily
use make CCLD=wrapper_script.sh but here, I have no control since it's
hardcoded in the libtool script.

I want to do this because I want to link everything with the /NODEFAULTLIB flag
without actually changing anything in the code I'm compiling.  And of course,
libtool won't let the `/NODEFAULTLIB' flag pass through.

As a reminder, I use the Microsoft toolchain using lots of wrapper scripts so
that it appears to work transparantly just like GCC (this thread explains what
I did: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2006-11/msg00046.html).

Thanks.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory