Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong (/usr/lib) libstdc++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong (/usr/lib) libstdc++
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:28:25 +0200

Hello Liviu,

Thanks for the report.

* Liviu Nicoara wrote on Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 04:50:46PM CEST:

> I am trying to link a library and test program in an autotools-based
> project using Intel C++ 9.1.042 and GCC 4.1.2.
>
> One of my machines has a default installation of GCC (3.3.6). I built and
> installed gcc-4.1.2 and icc-9.1.042 in /opt/compilers. My goal is to
> link the project's library and test program with the GCC libstdc++
> in /opt/compilers/gcc-4.1.2, not the one in /usr/lib. The Intel compiler
> driver picks up by default the gcc libstdc++ to link with instead of itw
> own C++ Standard Library, as explained in the man page:
>
> -cxxlib-<mode> tell the compiler which C++ run-time libraries to use:
>    gcc[=dir] - link using C++ run-time libraries provided with gcc
>               (default on systems running gcc 3.2 or above)
>                dir is an optional top-level location for the gcc
>                binaries and libraries
> [...]
>

> The issue seems to be similar with one posted a while ago by Taj Morton.
> While in his case a KDE library was pulling in the /usr/lib/ libstdc++, my
> project does not have such a dependency.

AFAIK it's not the same issue.  From a glance, it's also distinct from
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-08/msg00041.html> which
you pointed to in your other mail.

> How do I go about linking with the custom built GCC libstdc++ on the system
> which has a default GCC installed in /usr/lib?

Thanks for all the info you provided.  Please also post output of
  ./libtool --tag=CXX --config

for the build you currently have.

(Unfinished thoughts follow.)

It looks to me we're treating $postdeps in the wrong pass (in the wrong
order).  I'm wondering whether treating GCC libs specially is the least
intrusive fix.  Also, I'm wondering whether we just compute
$compiler_lib_search_path_dir wrongly.