Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong (/usr/lib) libstdc++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong (/usr/lib) libstdc++
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:04:34 +0200

Hello Liviu,

* Liviu Nicoara wrote on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 04:54:55PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >Please also post output of
> >  ./libtool --tag=CXX --config
>
> I have attached it as a gzipped archive.

Was that with --tag=CXX?

> >It looks to me we're treating $postdeps in the wrong pass (in the wrong
> >order).  I'm wondering whether treating GCC libs specially is the least
> >intrusive fix.  Also, I'm wondering whether we just compute
> >$compiler_lib_search_path_dir wrongly.
>
> From looking in the output of libtool linking with --debug I saw that
> the libstdc++ library is picked because the only two places where that
> code is looking for it are: /opt/compilers/intel-9.1.042/lib and /usr/lib:

Yes, it only later picks up the other paths that are set in $postdeps
for the CXX tag, because it parses $postdeps in the wrong order.

> I would expect the search variable sys_lib_search_path_spec to contain
> all paths explicitly specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If this is not the
> case there are probably reasons which I do not see right now.

Hmm.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not something that is enforced to be equal for
all users of a system.  A library you compile now with some setting for
LD_LIBRARY_PATH may not run for the next user, with her different
setting, nor for you from another shell.

Cheers, andn thanks,