Re: dll names on windows

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dll names on windows
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:04:12 +0200

Hello Bob, Max, all,

* Bob Rossi wrote on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 12:26:25AM CEST:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 05:12:49PM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
> >
> > Is there any way that I can have libtool simply create a dll with the
> > new 'pcre.dll' instead of 'libpcre-0.dll'? Otherwise, I'll have to code
> > into the Makefile some commands to provide the user with what they want.

I think you may be able to hack^Wworkaround like this:
  lib_LTLIBRARIES = pcre.la
  pcre_la_SOURCES = ...
  pcre_la_LDFLAGS = -module

Note though that it's somewhat of a hack, and that I'm not sure whether
it was intended to be (ab)used this way, so maybe I should not recommend
it.  Note also that you cannot build pcre.la and libpcre.la in the same
directory, for namespace collision issues.

Another possibility is to manually copy the file after installation.

> Ping. Maybe this is a stupid question. I'm not really knowledgeable
> enough to know if what I'm asking for doesn't even make sense. I'd like
> to at least find out if it's a reasonable question that I'm asking. :)

Yes, the question is reasonable.  Sorry for the delay.