Any documentation for "--tag" ?

From: Phil Endecott
Subject: Any documentation for "--tag" ?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:46:24 +0100

Dear libtool experts,

I'm the author of a C++ Apache module which uses an Apache-supplied libtool in its build process.

Some time ago people started reporting the "unable to infer tagged configuration" error from libtool. It seemed to depend on particular distribution / version issues, but I never saw it myself. Someone worked out that the solution was to add "--tag=CXX", but I don't know how they worked that out since I have never found any documentation for this mysterious --tag option.

Having recently upgraded something I have now started to see this message myself, so I think it's time to work out what is going on.

So, my main question is, is there any documentation for "--tag"? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the online manual at http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html.

Now as I understand it the libtool that is supplied by Apache is somehow customised by them. So is there something that they should do so that their libtool automatically recognises C++ compilation without the need for --tag?

Many thanks,

Phil.