Re: Any documentation for "--tag" ?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Any documentation for "--tag" ?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:09:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Phil Endecott wrote:

Dear libtool experts,

I'm the author of a C++ Apache module which uses an Apache-supplied libtool in its build process.

Some time ago people started reporting the "unable to infer tagged configuration" error from libtool. It seemed to depend on particular distribution / version issues, but I never saw it myself. Someone worked out that the solution was to add "--tag=CXX", but I don't know how they worked that out since I have never found any documentation for this mysterious --tag option.

For quite a few years now, Automake has provided the --tag= option automatically. The --tag option tells libtool which language tool (C, C++, Fortran) is currently in use so the correct options are used. Otherwise it would have to guess based on the name of the tool and guessing is hard. Is Apache using Automake?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn