versioning, backward compatability

From: Jan.Horan
Subject: versioning, backward compatability
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:46:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I translated my library using libtool with the -version-info=5:0:0 parameter
and I installed it into /usr/local//lib using libtool. Then I translated
executable "prog" which was linked with this library. Readelf -d prog shows

0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libmylibrary.so.5]

Then I translated same library again with parameter -version-info 6:0:6. With
this, I wanted to say that this new interface number 6 is backward compatible
with all older interfaces and that all programs that was ever linked againts
any former version of my library should now link this new version of library.

However after I installed new library, my "prog" is still linking old
libmylibrary.5.0.0 because symlink libmylibrary.so.5 is still pointing to old
one. The only thing that happened is that executables that was linked (I mean
when link editor created it)   with mylibrary interface version 0 are now
dynamicaly linked with the new library because libmylibrary.so.0 symlink is now
pointing to new library that was translated with -version-info 6:0:6 parameter.

Could anyone help ? Thanks