force shared noinst_LTLIBRARIES?

From: David Fang
Subject: force shared noinst_LTLIBRARIES?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:20:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
        I wasn't able to find an answer for this in the libtool/automake
manuals: Is there a way to force libtool (with automake) to create the
shared version of an uninstalled library?  I would like to use libtool to
create local shared libraries as plug-in/modules to another executable.

# foo.la is a dlopen-able module to be loaded by some other host exe.
# and is NOT meant to be installed.
noinst_LTLIBRARIES = foo.la
foo_la_SOURCES = foo.cc
foo_la_LDFLAGS = -module

produces:
foo.o
foo.lo
foo.la
.libs/foo.a
.libs/foo.la (link)
.libs/foo.o

However, if I declare foo.la as installed:
pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = foo.la

then we also get:

.libs/gcd.lai
.libs/gcd.so (link)
.libs/gcd.so.0

The executable finds the .so with lt_dlopen("foo.la") in the working
directory.
However, I don't wish to install any unintended libraries in this case,
I'd need some sort of hook to remove unwanted installs (ick).

Or is there a simpler (yet still portable) way to do what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Fang

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
        -- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)