dlopening installable ltdl modules failing (OS X problem only)

From: David Fang
Subject: dlopening installable ltdl modules failing (OS X problem only)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:05:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
        I'm having a problem testing some libtool (ltdl) modules, but only
on OS X (darwin7 and darwin8, libtool 1.5.22 and .24).  My executable
lt_dlopens a .la library in another built directory (during make check
testing), and fails with an lt_dlerror message like:

dlopen(../../lib/mymodule.0.so, 9): image not found

[Yes, I'm testing the executable from outside the built lib/ directory.]

The executable takes command-line arguments that call lt_dladdsearchpath
(option -L) and lt_dlopenext (option -l).  The file, ../../lib/mymodule.la
has already been built at the time of testing.  The executable is invoked
with "-L../../lib -lmymodule" to reference ../../lib/mymodule.la.

in $(srcdir)/../../lib/Makefile.am:
pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = mymodule.la
mymodule_la_LIBADD = (dependent libs)
mymodule_la_LDFLAGS = -module

The reason for failure comes to mind: mymodule.la is a plug-in that will
eventually be installed in $(pkglibdir).  At build-time, before
installation, the actual shared objects lie in ../../lib/.libs, and not in
../../lib.  However, on the other systems I've been testing (suse-linux,
freebsd6.2, with ltdl from libtool-1.5.24), the very same tests are able
to find the actual shared objects with lt_dlopenext, when passing only
paths to the .la files.  On these systems, lt_dlopenext must have searched
in .libs (relative subdir), however, it seems that on Darwin, the search
process didn't look in .libs for the images.

My questions:
Is the above test supposed to work, as I've observed on linux/freebsd?
        (or is that purely accidental?)
If so, is there a reason why the same should not work on Darwin?
        (or have I found a possible bug?)

I've tried to keep this initial report/query brief, but I can follow up
with more concrete details if I haven't been clear enough.

Thanks in advance.

Fang

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
        -- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)