Re: Creating ONLY static libraries

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: Creating ONLY static libraries
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:07:03 +0200

Omri Azencot wrote:
On 8/21/07, Jason Curl <address@hidden> wrote:
If you don't need to have the libraries installed for a convenience
library, use "noinst_*". See:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#A-Library

Similarly for libtool:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Static-libraries

The answer from Mike is correct, they're static libraries that other
programs may link to if wanted.

How do you plan to use this library?

I am trying to build some program under Cygwin/X and it seemed that there is
some sort of problem with linking to one of the libraries (*.la) which were
made during the build process.
anyway after I added "--disable-shared" to configure, the build process went
O.K. and I didnt get no ld error.
I am still not sure if the problem is from Libtool or Cygwin/X (my guess is
Cygwin/X) , but for now I am quite satisfied with the static libraries as
is.
thank you all for your help !
I had a similar problem with 'libiberty' that it didn't provide shared libraries, only static. You might want to have a look at the thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2007-08/msg00005.html

I haven't checked Ralf's response if it works, I just yanked out libiberty effectively solving my problem. But it might still be relevant for you:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2007-08/msg00009.html

Regards,
Jason.