multiple compilers

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: multiple compilers
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:39:21 -0400

I'm starting to think about how to compile/link for the cell processor
using the autotools. My first thought was to configure for the PowerPC
processor, then override the C compiler for the SPU source files, but
that doesn't work. The only way I can see right now is multiple
configures or independently configured subdirectories. Would there be
any reason (except for the cell processor) for the libtool script to
have multiple-configured compilers for a single language? Then, based
on the compiler passed to the libtool command select one?

Chris