Re: Libtool is "unfatting" my universal binaries

From: Brian
Subject: Re: Libtool is "unfatting" my universal binaries
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:58:27 -0600

Peter, `autoreconf -fi' fixed it. Thank you!

On 10/9/07, address@hidden <address@hidden > wrote:
On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 06:38:11PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> Peter, thanks for your comments. I build libtool from source, and am using
> 1.5.24. I manually ran the large link command, inserting `-arch i386 -arch
> ppc' after g++, and  it did create a universal library:
> http://pastey.net/75062
>
> But it's not clear to me what I need to do to get libtool to do this on its
> own, and also why it's not doing it. I modified CC/CXX in the Makefile to
> also pass  the arch flags at that point, and the only difference is that
> when libtool is called, it gets them twice, and it proceeds to strip them
> out of the command twice!

Because libtool is included in the package that you are building, you
must ensure that the included libtool is also at a new enough version,
most people choose to use autoreconf to do this. If your package has a
bootstrap or autogen script then you may prefer to use that instead.

Peter