Re: Relinking to wrong version

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Relinking to wrong version
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 00:01:46 +0200

Hello Dustin,

* Dustin J. Mitchell wrote on Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 11:41:20PM CEST:
> Excuse the long intro here, but I'm not sure how to slim this down.

You shouldn't.  It was just about a perfect report, thank you!

> The problem comes when, on 'make install', libtool relinks the library:
[...]
> And here's where the trouble starts: libtool rewrote
> '../common-src/libamanda.la' to '-lamanda' (it initially included
> '-L../common-src/.libs', but that was dropped later in the script
> execution -- I couldn't tell exactly where).

1) Because ../common-src/libamanda.la was an uninstalled library
(it has "installed=no" inside), libtool expects that, upon installation
of a library (libDevice.la), all its dependent uninstalled libraries
(libamanda.la) have already been installed.  So it expects that
/A/p/lib/libamanda.la does exist (and is the just-installed library).
Is that the case?

2) /A/p/lib/libamanda would be found by the relink command that libtool
generates, except that your mode=link command happened to put -L/usr/lib
early in the path.  Why is that, I can't see why that would be needed?

Please try to execute the mode=link command that you posted, but remove
the -L/usr/lib.  Then try the mode=install command.  Does the relink
work right now?

If yes, then it remains to find out where that originally came from.

Hope that helps.