Re: removing rpath from libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: removing rpath from libtool
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:30:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

I really don't see the need for rpath at all, maybe it makes sense on
other systems, but we are on Linux & Solaris.

Well, if I install a shared library in /opt/foo-package/lib and link a
program against it without an rpath, how will the runtime linker find
it otherwise?  Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is very bad, for many reasons.

Solaris provides the 'crle' command, and Linux provides the 'ldconfig' command for formally configuring the run-time linker search path so that evil LD_LIBRARY_PATH and rpath are not required on that system. Root access is required in order to use these utilities.

It can not be safely assumed that a non-default configured path will be in the run-time linker search path on some other similar system.

I have seen a --disable-rpath option provided by some packages (or --enable-rpath) and maybe libtool should support it. If the user disables rpath, then it is then up to the user to try to make the program work.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn