Re: Libtool doesn't set -rpath automatically when needed?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Libtool doesn't set -rpath automatically when needed?
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 17:21:00 +0100

* Benoit SIGOURE wrote on Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 02:52:25PM CET:

> Oh I see.  Great.  All in all, I think I do better document that
> "libtool is required" because it does solve all sorts of problems.
> What's the recommended way of doing this?  Simply stating the
> dependency in the documentation and trust the users to Do The Right
> Thing?

I'd do the first rather than this:

> AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_LIBTOOL])?

Rationale: the user may want to invoke some other Libtool-related macros
right before and after AC_PROG_LIBTOOL, or use the new LT_INIT notation.

> Doing some m4-check to ensure
> that something m4_define'd by AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is indeed defined when
> my macro is invoked?  Or doing a runtime check to check that one of
> libtool's variables is properly set and bailing out with an
> AC_MSG_ERROR if not?

No, that sounds rather awful.

FYI, if you're out to use the libtool script from within configure, then
for CVS HEAD Libtool you need to put the LT_OUTPUT macro.  It isn't
defined nor necessary with 1.5.x.  I think you should be able to
  m4_ifdef([LT_OUTPUT], [AC_REQUIRE([LT_OUTPUT])])