Re: Sun Studio linking issues in Solaris 9

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Sun Studio linking issues in Solaris 9
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:23:51 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, David Halik wrote:

You're right, and they are. I totally agree with you, but apparently the courier maintainer feels otherwise. He's telling me that the Makefile.in is libtool generated and that libtool is putting the -l flags in libauthldap_la_LDFLAGS. I'm going to go pull that part out of the Makefile.in and forward your response back to him. I don't see how libtool could be at fault here when the arguments are being given to libtool incorrectly.

Package maintainers are often confused about the meaning of LDFLAGS and LIBADD since they fail to read the documentation. Proper use of LIBADD is very important. Anything added to a per-library LDFLAGS is either directly in the Makefile.am or is produced by the configure script. To the best of my knowledge, libtool does not generate per-library LDFLAGS.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn