Re: Favoring static linking at configure time

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: Favoring static linking at configure time
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 10:20:40 -0800

Benoit Sigoure wrote:

> > Of course there is: -Wl,-Bstatic -lfoo -Wl,-Bdynamic
>
> Hmm I didn't know this.  How portable is it?  I guess a gccism, but
> is it even portable across versions/ports of GCC?

It doesn't really have anything to do with gcc, it's the linker that
interprets these options.  -Wl is the only part gcc sees and that has
been in gcc forever.  I'm not sure if other compilers have options for
"pass this to the linker" or not.

-B seems to be fairly portable; all of the following support it:

GNU ld:
<http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.18/ld/Options.html>

Solaris ld:
<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2239/6n4hsf6n2?l=en&a=view>