RE: passing flags to the librarian

From: David Byron
Subject: RE: passing flags to the librarian
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:18:29 -0800

On Tuesday, December 11, 2007, Duft Markus wrote:

> You may wanr to have a look at parity
> (http://www.sf.net/projects/parity). It was written more or less to be
> more powerfull than cccl (but for now is only tested with interix, not
> cygwin).

I'm going to stick with cccl for now.

> Also parity comes with a patch for libtool to behave nicely,
> and i also
> have a bunch of patches we required to be able to build pcre (on other
> systems too, not only windows) - i attached them here (apply in source
> directory with "patch -p1 < patchfile").

I'm using pcre 7.4 and got it to compile by changing a few other things that
I sent to the pcre mailing list.

> P.S.: have you tried ARFLAGS='/LTCG'?

ARFLAGS didn't have any affect.  Neither did AR_FLAGS.  Hacking /LTCG into
libtool's:

old_archive_cmds="lib -OUT:\$oldlib\$oldobjs\$old_deplibs"

does make the warning go away.  Unfortunately there's a bigger problem.
Compiling with /GL (to enable link-time code generation) gives me libraries
that the linker is unhappy with.  I get an invalid library message when I
use them.  For my app, pcre is small so I'm probably not going to spend more
time on it at the moment.  I remove /GL, my warning goes away, I no longer
need to set librarian flags, and I get libraries that work.

Thanks for your help.

-DB