Re: My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:52:54 +0100

Hello bapluda,

* bapluda wrote on Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 09:08:21PM CET:

> address@hidden:~/temp/rcssserver-11.1.2/src> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX
> --mode=link g++ -W -Wall -I./src -g -O2 -pthread  -L/home/mysql/robocup/lib
> -L/home/mysql/boost/lib -o rcssserver hetroplayer.o main.o field.o netif.o
> object.o xmlreader.o landmarkreader.o coach.o bodysensor.o player.o
> monitor.o audio.o serializer.o serializerplayerstdv1.o
> serializerplayerstdv7.o serializerplayerstdv8.o serializercoachstdv1.o
> serializercoachstdv7.o serializercoachstdv8.o serializeronlinecoachstdv1.o
> serializeronlinecoachstdv6.o serializeronlinecoachstdv7.o
> serializeronlinecoachstdv8.o serializercommonstdv1.o serializercommonstdv7.o
> serializercommonstdv8.o referee.o visual.o bodysender.o fullstatesender.o
> initsender.o libimports.o   -lrcsstimer -lrcssclangparser -lrcsspcomparser
> -lrcssresultsaver -lrcssplayerparam -lrcssserverparam -lrcssutil
> -lrcssconfparser -lrcsslib -lrcsserror -lrcssnet -lrcssgz -lrcssbase
> -lboost_filesystem -lz -lm   -ldl
> libtool: link: warning: library `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la'
> was moved.
> libtool: link: warning: library `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la'
> was moved.
> libtool: link: cannot find the library `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la' or
> unhandled argument `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la'

Typically this happens when librcsserror.la was created with an argument
of
  -rpath /home/mysql/lib

but installed into the directory
  /home/mysql/robocup/lib

instead (that accounts for the "was moved" warning), and there is
another installed libtool library (*.la file) that you link against
which lists
  /home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la

as its dependency (that accounts for the error).

The solution to both problems is to specify the right to-be-installed
location when creating librcsserror.la in the first place.

If you use Automake, then that should typically work all by itself, if
you don't, then I can likely point at what's wrong if you post the
Makefile bits relevant for creation of librcsserror.la.

Please note that you should list dependent uninstalled libraries (it
doesn't look like you have them, but I can't be sure yet) as
  ../relative/path/libfoo.la

Hope that helps.