Re: My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"

From: bapluda
Subject: Re: My first experience as a libtool user: "A pain in the ar*se"
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:47:33 -0800 (PST)

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> Hello bapluda,
>
> * bapluda wrote on Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 09:08:21PM CET:
>>
>> address@hidden:~/temp/rcssserver-11.1.2/src> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX
>> --mode=link g++ -W -Wall -I./src -g -O2 -pthread
>> -L/home/mysql/robocup/lib
>> -L/home/mysql/boost/lib -o rcssserver hetroplayer.o main.o field.o
>> netif.o
>> object.o xmlreader.o landmarkreader.o coach.o bodysensor.o player.o
>> monitor.o audio.o serializer.o serializerplayerstdv1.o
>> serializerplayerstdv7.o serializerplayerstdv8.o serializercoachstdv1.o
>> serializercoachstdv7.o serializercoachstdv8.o
>> serializeronlinecoachstdv1.o
>> serializeronlinecoachstdv6.o serializeronlinecoachstdv7.o
>> serializeronlinecoachstdv8.o serializercommonstdv1.o
>> serializercommonstdv7.o
>> serializercommonstdv8.o referee.o visual.o bodysender.o fullstatesender.o
>> initsender.o libimports.o   -lrcsstimer -lrcssclangparser
>> -lrcsspcomparser
>> -lrcssresultsaver -lrcssplayerparam -lrcssserverparam -lrcssutil
>> -lrcssconfparser -lrcsslib -lrcsserror -lrcssnet -lrcssgz -lrcssbase
>> -lboost_filesystem -lz -lm   -ldl
>> libtool: link: warning: library `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la'
>> was moved.
>> libtool: link: warning: library `/home/mysql/robocup/lib/librcsserror.la'
>> was moved.
>> libtool: link: cannot find the library `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la'
>> or
>> unhandled argument `/home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la'
>
> Typically this happens when librcsserror.la was created with an argument
> of
>   -rpath /home/mysql/lib
>
> but installed into the directory
>   /home/mysql/robocup/lib
>
> instead (that accounts for the "was moved" warning), and there is
> another installed libtool library (*.la file) that you link against
> which lists
>   /home/mysql/lib/librcsserror.la
>
> as its dependency (that accounts for the error).
>
> The solution to both problems is to specify the right to-be-installed
> location when creating librcsserror.la in the first place.
>
> If you use Automake, then that should typically work all by itself, if
> you don't, then I can likely point at what's wrong if you post the
> Makefile bits relevant for creation of librcsserror.la.
>
> Please note that you should list dependent uninstalled libraries (it
> doesn't look like you have them, but I can't be sure yet) as
>   ../relative/path/libfoo.la
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Hi Ralf
It helped! Thanks very much! First I rebuilt the package that creates
librcsserror.la.
And then I rebuilt the problem package and everything was smooth. But I
still don't know how I could have possibly specified /home/mysql/lib the
first time I built librcsserror.la .
I used this command both times:
./configure --prefix=$RCSSBASE --with-boost=$BOOST_ROOT

And RCSSBASE is set by my .bashrc to "$HOME/robocup"

Cheers

Ian