Re: ld --rpath problem using libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ld --rpath problem using libtool
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 07:48:11 +0100

Hello Richard,

* Richard Hacker wrote on Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 07:40:57AM CET:

> Attached are the two logs that you have requested. I hope this helps you
> further. At least my assumption that libtool should get a library's path
> information from libx.la is not wrong. ;)
>
> Sorry for sending the logs unzipped previously.

Thanks for the resend.

I think the issue is this:  libtool doesn't add a run path to
/opt/etherlab/lib because it thinks the runtime linker will already
search that by default.  Your --config output shows that it is listed
as such:

| # Run-time system search path for libraries
| sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec="/lib /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d /usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/Xaw3d /usr/i386-suse-linux/lib /usr/local/lib /opt/kde3/lib
/opt/gnome/lib /opt/etherlab/lib "

This typically happens on GNU/Linux if the path is listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf* (the Libtool configure macros try to parse that).

I'm wondering, if it's listed there (could you please confirm that?),
why doesn't the runtime linker find it then in your case?