Re: relinking makes libtool link to the wrong library

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: relinking makes libtool link to the wrong library
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:30:26 +0100

Hi Simon,

0) I forgot to ask: is this libtool 1.5.24?

1) ../lib/libgnutls.la has dependency_libs entry that contains -L/usr/lib
and -L/usr/local/lib, both wrongly I think.  Why is that?  To find out,
please send `libtool --debug --mode=link' output (not relink) for the
creation of ../lib/libgnutls.la.

(I assume that your libz is in /usr/lib not /usr/local/lib.
If that's a false assumption, then the -L/usr/local/lib would have a
reason to be there.)

2) ../lgl/liblgnu.la has dependency_libs entry that contains
-L/usr/local/lib.  That doesn't look right either:

| ++ dlname=
| ++ library_names=
| ++ old_library=liblgnu.a
| ++ dependency_libs=' -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.la
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.la'

3) /usr/local/lib/libgcrypt.la also contains a -L/usr/local/lib which I
don't understand.  For now, you could try just removing it from the file.
(That's probably where that one in ../lgl/liblgnu.la came from.)

4) "-lopencdk -llzo2" don't belong in LDFLAGS, they belong in
*_LIBADD/*_LDADD.  Put them after the ../lib-just-built-lib.la args
for good measure.

Quite possible that we have to play this game a bit longer still,
so if after the above issues are fixed, libgnutls_extra still has
-L/usr/lib early, please just send a debug output of the relink again.