Re: bi-arch build problem: cannot build 64-bit libs on ppc64

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: bi-arch build problem: cannot build 64-bit libs on ppc64
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 00:46:26 -0600

Maynard Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this topic has been discussed on the mailing list before, but
> I've not been able to pick out all of the relevant pieces of information
> to solve the problem for my particular situation.  Hopefully, someone on
> the list can help.
>
> My platform is ppc64 SLES 10 SP1, libtool version 1.5.24.  I have a
> project built using the standard tools -- aclocal, autoconf, automake.
> The default configuration builds everything as 32-bit.  Prior to
> integrating libtool into this project, I was also able to build and
> install 64-bit programs and libraries by prefacing my ./configure
> command with:
>          CFLAGS="-m64" CXXFLAGS=-m64"
>
> I've now integrated libtool into the project.  The 32-bit build still
> works fine, but when I try a 64-bit build (using the technique described
> above), it fails with:
>    gcc -m64 -o urh_int urh_int.o  /usr/lib/libbfd.so -liberty -ldl
>    /usr/lib/libbfd.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
>
> The urh_int.o was compiled 64-bit, but /usr/lib/libbfd.so is a 32-bit
> library.  If I manually run the above command and replace
> '/usr/lib/libbfd.so' with '-lbfd', the 64-bit urh_int program is built
> successfully.
>
> Can someone tell me the extra magic flags I need to set in order to get
> libtool to do the right thing?

Hi Maynard,

There really should not be any extra magic flags. I assume that the 64
bit libs live in a different directory that the 32 bit ones (lib64 or
lib/64 or some such). libtool should be picking this up from `gcc
-print-multi-os-directory`.

Please post ./libtool --config for both the 32 bit and 64 bit case
(might be best to compress them).

Also, what is the libtool line for the above link line?

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman