Sun Studio: STL libraries

From: Dan Lacher
Subject: Sun Studio: STL libraries
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:04:08 -0500

In trying to resolve a C++ issue within Open MPI we've run into an issue with Libtool automatically linking in Cstd. Because Sun Studio supports two different types of C++ STL libraries (Cstl and stlport4) we needed to remove Open MPI's reliance on STL functions so applications being compiled with Sun Studio could use either version of STL libraries (note once you link with one you cannot use the other STL library).

After making Open MPI STL agnostic we found out that libtool is automatically adding in "-lCstd -lCrun" to CXXFLAGS which is causing our fix to make Open MPI STL agnostic useless. We currently are hacking aclocal's LT macros to *not* add the Cstd library to any of OMPI's CXXFLAGS to work around this issue.

We are wondering if there is a way libtool could remove the addition of -lCstd and -lCrun to CXXFLAGS when it detects Sun Studio Compilers being used?