Re: Sun Studio: STL libraries

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: Sun Studio: STL libraries
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:16:30 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: Sun Studio: STL libraries, Dan Lacher said (at 12:04pm on Feb...:

In trying to resolve a C++ issue within Open MPI we've run into an issue with Libtool automatically linking in Cstd.
Because Sun Studio supports two different types of C++ STL libraries
(Cstl and stlport4) we needed to remove Open MPI's reliance on STL
functions so applications being compiled with Sun Studio could use
either version of STL libraries (note once you link with one you cannot
use the other STL library).

I just ran into the opposite of this problem yesterday.

The short answer: you're using a version of libtool that's pretty old.
This issue was fixed in 2006.  Upgrade your libtool, and the problem will
go away.

Now, libtool doesn't force either Cstd or Crun into the libraries, which
means that if you use

        -library=stlport4

as part of CXXFLAGS, you probably also need

        -library=Crun

since that won't automatically be added.  I personally think that libtool
should still be adding -lCrun automatically, as it does for -lc, since
-lCrun is compatible with stlport4, but since there's a workaround, it's
no big deal.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden