Re: problem with libtool generated version script and underscores

From: Aleksey Demakov
Subject: Re: problem with libtool generated version script and underscores
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 01:01:42 +0600

On Feb 6, 2008 11:51 PM, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blackfin is not the only target that utilizes underscore prefixes.  a more
> generic check (as noted in the previous thread you cited) would be to
> consider the define from gcc __USER_LABEL_PREFIX__.
> -mike

Please take a look at AC_LIBTOOL_SYS_GLOBAL_SYMBOL_PIPE in libtool.m4.

There are lines that read like this:

# Try without a prefix undercore, then with it.
for ac_symprfx in "" "_"; do

  # Transform symcode, sympat, and symprfx into a raw symbol and a C symbol.
  symxfrm="\\1 $ac_symprfx\\2 \\2"

  # Write the raw and C identifiers.
  lt_cv_sys_global_symbol_pipe="sed -n -e 's/^.*[[
]]\($symcode$symcode*\)[[       ]][[
]]*$ac_symprfx$sympat$opt_cr$/$symx

That is while finding the correct global_symbol_pipe command it uses
temporary variable $ac_symprfx. I think this variable could be just re-used
to tell if the system requires underscore. There is no need for a separate
test that relies on a gcc feature. The existing test goes through the
entire chain compiler/linker/NM and therefore should be more reliable.

Regards,
Aleksey