Re: 2.1b license.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 2.1b license.
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 19:21:35 +0100

Hello Kurt,

* Kurt Roeckx wrote on Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:13:00PM CET:

> It seems most of the files have this in them:
> # GNU Libtool is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> # it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> # (at your option) any later version.
>
> But the COPYING file has version 3 in it.

Erm, I can't see that in
<http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.1b.tar.gz>.  Where did you
get the tarball from?

> I could only find 1 example with "version 3" in it: texinfo.tex

But it also carries the usual expection clause that make this
unproblematic.

> Are you going to change everything to version 3?

Well, yes, eventually we will switch the various differently-licensed
parts of Libtool to version 3 or later of the GPL, LGPL, including the
exception clauses (see the file HACKING in the CVS tree about the
individual licensing rules).  We are still waiting for the lawyers to
reformulate the exception clauses in the way that GPLv3 specifies
additions to happen to that license.  But I strongly expect 2.2 to be
released before that happens.