Re: changes between linking with shared objects and static libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: changes between linking with shared objects and static libraries
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:37:16 +0100

Hello Henning,

* Henning Nielsen Lund wrote on Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:04:47AM CET:

> I am working on making it more easy to make shared libraries (Patch #6416)
> and using them for AmigaOS4.
>
> Now my big problem comes... when we link our executables using shared
> objects, do we need to include "-use-dynld -Lsobjs:" or "-use-dynld
> -L/sobjs" to the line.

Are these two possibilities equivalent, and if not, when to use which?
Is /sobjs a path to search shared libraries in?  Then, if not for any
other matter, the latter form should be preferred, as libtool will then
be able to understand that, too, and look in /sobjs for deplibs.

Are these flags needed also when creating shared libraries, or creating
shared libraries that link against other libraries?

More generally, is there some documentation available regarding the
AmigaOS4 shared library implementation (and the compiler and the linker)?

> Is it in libtool, autoconf or automake that I need to make changes to make
> this work?

Good question.  As a first approximation, the user can workaround using
  ./configure LDFLAGS="-use-dynld -L/sobjs"

Since libtool is not typically used if all a package does is link
against installed libraries (but not build any itself), then libtool
would be the wrong place for this.  The gnulib module havelib could be
a place, but I guess Automake or Autoconf, possibly, too.

I do wonder a bit, if these flags are always needed, why not make them
the default inside the compiler?  That would be so much simpler.