Re: [patch/rfc] setting version type based on vendor

From: Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò
Subject: Re: [patch/rfc] setting version type based on vendor
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:52:46 +0100

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> I have no problem with this, other than: the fact that it may create an
> incompatible switch-over point for gentoo users, and the unwary may be
> expecting for her libraries, built on gentoo, could be usable on other
> (gasp!) FreeBSD (-like) systems, and also that GNU/FreeBSD distributions

There are enough other changes in Gentoo/FreeBSD that would stop from being
able to use binaries built on Gentoo/FreeBSD on "vanilla" FreeBSD, more or
less like building on Debian stops you from using (most) binaries on SuSE.
But as long as they don't set ./configure --host parameter explicitly, it
should be all fine, beside the soname of the NEEDED entries, which is
actually, in my opinion, a good thing.

But please also note that this is _not_ a GNU/FreeBSD project :)

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/