Libtool helps GNU assimilate packages :-)

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Libtool helps GNU assimilate packages :-)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:24:02 +0100

Hi!

In libltdl/m4/libtool.m4, in the _LT_CONFIG macro, I find these lines:

#! $SHELL

# `$ECHO "$ofile" | sed 's%^.*/%%'` - Provide generalized library-building
support services.
# Generated automatically by $as_me (GNU $PACKAGE$TIMESTAMP) $VERSION
# Libtool was configured on host `(hostname || uname -n) 2>/dev/null | sed 1q`:
# NOTE: Changes made to this file will be lost: look at ltmain.sh.

Those lines seem to be the source of the header of the generated
libtool script. I'm not really fond of the GNU prefix of $PACKAGE
which is not true for my package (and probably isn't true for a
lot of other packages).

I guess the author meant for $PACKAGE etc to be expanded by Libtool,
and not the package consuming Libtool, but I may be wrong...

For my foobar package version 0.5, I get this in the libtool script:

#! /bin/sh

# libtool - Provide generalized library-building support services.
# Generated automatically by config.status (GNU foobar) 0.5
# Libtool was configured on host peda-pc:
# NOTE: Changes made to this file will be lost: look at ltmain.sh.

Cheers,
Peter