Re: PATCH: set --silent when run under make -s

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: PATCH: set --silent when run under make -s
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:24:38 +0100

Hi Ben,

* Ben Elliston wrote on Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 07:07:03AM CET:
> My patch detects when libtool is invoked by make -s and sets the same
> flag (opt_silent) as if it were invoked with --silent.

This is an (undocumented) FAQ:
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.general/8772/focus=8803>

Your patch is not strict enough, and I would prefer if further
discussion actually added value to the already-long discussion
that you can for example find in the above thread (and others).

For example, a vote by (many) feet could be a reason to think
about throwing away backward compatibility and good programming
principles ...