Re: linking a C program with a C++ library on Solaris

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: linking a C program with a C++ library on Solaris
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:56:08 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: Re: linking a C program with a C++ library on Solaris, Ralf...:

Hello Bob, Tim,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 03:11:44AM CET:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Tim Mooney wrote:

I don't see anything in 2.1b's info files or README or NEWS for updating
a project from 1.5.x to 2.2.  I assume that means that there's nothing
a project maintainer needs to do other than to re-libtoolize his or her
project?

I believe that backward compatability has been mostly respected.

Yes, but just running libtoolize has never been enough.

Absolutely -- I guess I was just implying the aclocal run too, though
I should have been more explicit.

My main question was whether any new macros needed to be called, or old
ones needed to change how they're called, and it looks like that's
generally not needed, which is great news.

 Running aclocal
(with Libtool 2.2's macro files visible to aclocal) to get the new macro
definitions is also needed; autoreconf -vf takes care of both.

As a subsequent poster has mentioned, I've also noticed that autoreconf
typically only runs aclocal *before* libtoolize, which struck me as odd
when I noticed it.

I'm not saying that autoreconf's behavior is broken, since I've only used
it a few times and have never noticed a problem because of this unexpected
order in which it runs the commands.  I was just surprised at the order it
has used on the few occasions that I've used it.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden