Validity of "fake" convenience library

From: Dan Nicholson
Subject: Validity of "fake" convenience library
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:08:46 -0800

I'm trying to use an internal static library from one project as a
convenience library in another project. The problem is that the first
project does not use libtool and the second does. So, there's no .la
file and libtool complains about the portability of linking the static
archive into another convenience library in the second project. My
workaround was to create a fake .la file for the static library
indicating that it's a convenience library. I just altered the names
from a .la file that libtool had generated. Here's the commit:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dbn/mesa/diff/?h=xserver-glx&id=6cad64b3

Is this a valid thing to do? What are the requirements for building a
valid convenience library? -fPIC? What are the requirements for a
valid .la file for a convenience library? Is there another option
(besides libtoolizing the first project) that is more robust?

I realize this is a pretty insane thing to do, but the chances that
mesa will become libtoolized are exceedingly low. And the current
handling of this situation is at least equally fragile.

Thanks,

--
Dan