Re: Validity of "fake" convenience library

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Re: Validity of "fake" convenience library
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 01:21:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Peter O'Gorman - address@hidden wrote:
I am pretty sure that you can similarly avoid the need for a fake
convenience .la, but can not work it out without actually attempting a
build :)

On a related note, I'm working with a non-libtool library (we'll call it x) that ships libxz.a and libx.so. So a static build uses -lxz and a shared build uses -lx. To use this in an autotools project, I wrote a libmy_x.la.in with @variables@ to be determined by the configure script. Thus both flavors can now specify -lmy_x.

Is there a better way to handle libs with different static/shared names, or is this another place where the fake convenience library is appropriate?

Thanks,
Daniel