Dynamic libraries linking problem with Libtool

From: Roberto Rigamonti
Subject: Dynamic libraries linking problem with Libtool
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:23:31 +0100

Hi, I've already posted a related question on
http://www.linuxquestions.org/ today, but it seems that nobody there is
Libtool-expert so I've decided to crosspost here.
I've put a detailed explanation of my problem here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/c-dynamically-loaded-libraries-and-automake-invalid-elf-library-error-626105/
By the way, the situation is the following: using Autotools and Libtool
I created a source tree for a project composed of a main program and a
set of libraries that must be loaded at runtime by the program
(plugins). Before starting real coding, I decided to write down a test
program, because I'm not accustomed with Autotools and I had always used
the traditional hand-compiling and linking against .so libraries.
Now, as explained thoroughly in the page linked above, I'm faced with a
.la library that seems to be requested by my main program, but when I
provide it, the program refuses it because it is a Libtool archive and
not a ELF file. I'm close to getting insane, it's about 10 hours I'm
trying to get out of this, and I read a huge number of docs/tutorials on
the web without result. Should I use libltdl as suggested by the Libtool
manual or is there a straighforward solution to my problem?
I've put the whole source tree on the web
http://digilander.libero.it/optikstorm/3DVisor-0.0.1.tar.bz2 (~250Kb),
hoping that this helps.
Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me.
                                        Roberto