Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build time

From: Josh Triplett
Subject: Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build times in half
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:02:36 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> can we limit followups to a subset of this impressive array of mailing
> lists?  Say, to <address@hidden>?  That would be readable at
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/126905>.
> Thanks.

Sure.  I assumed that anyone wanting to respond would do so to the
mailing list they got it through if appropriate; for instance, I had a
followup on just debian-devel.

> * Josh Triplett wrote on Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:34:18PM CEST:
>> Libtool knows how to handle libraries for umpteen different systems,
>> including many ancient systems that have terrible shared library
>> support.  It has some extensive shell script logic to figure out how
>> to build libraries for your system, and how to compile objects that go
>> in those libraries.  This logic does an amazingly impressive job of
>> coping with adverse conditions.  However, this logic all lives in an
>> ~8500 line, ~250kB shell script, which runs *every single time you
>> compile a source file*.
>>
>> This does not do wonders for performance.
>
> Curious: can you please state which Libtool version you timed against,
> and if not 2.2.x, redo timing against 2.2.2?  Not that I expect wonders,
> but I expect something better than what you measured.

I tested against 1.5.26.  I'll give 2.2.2 a shot and see what I find.
However, when I looked at 2.2.2, it still seems to have a
multi-thousand-line shell script; do you just expect the benefit to
come from the new shell-specific optimizations?

- Josh Triplett