Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build time

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Announcing Dolt, a drop-in Libtool replacement which cuts build times in half
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:05:46 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 07:51:57AM CEST:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>> This is a list off shell functions that appear in the generated libtool
>> script on my linux system (one of Ralf's patches is applied). Yes, we
>> could probably move these around some to get func_mode_compile closer to
>> the top.
>
> The important thing is not how close func_mode_compile() is to the top,
> but how close the code which invokes it is to the top.

Most of these optimizations are already done in 2.2.2.  The code
invoking func_mode_compile is right after its definition.

Wrt. moving functions, func_win32_libid, func_generate_dlsyms, and
func_extract_an_archive, func_extract_archives can still be moved
after func_mode_compile.  That gets another 10% overhead reduction.
My patches from last night get about the same amount.

More tonight.