Re: don't let libtool infer the tag

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: don't let libtool infer the tag
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:04:44 -0400

On Monday 14 April 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger wrote on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:41:32AM CEST:
> > On Sunday 13 April 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > > So don't do this, please.  Supply --tag=CC if your compiler name
> > > doesn't match.
> >
> > i doubt people will care at this point, but ive done a bit of work in
> > Gentoo to make the tag inferring "better".  ive done this as there are
> > still a few packages out there that insist on using libtool found in
> > $PATH.  we've been killing them off over time, but we still havent gotten
> > them all, so this painful patch lives on.
> > http://sources.gentoo.org/sys-devel/libtool/files/1.5.6/libtool-1.5-filte
> >r-host-tags.patch
>
> Well, this patch is really ugly.  Not only is it a further cause of
> overhead, it also can induce using libtool with a compiler or host
> system for which it hasn't been configured.  Which can cause all
> kinds of interesting failures.  So really please supply --tag to fix
> these.

the tag inferring is all ugly.  i'm not suggesting this patch cleans it up or
anything, just that it makes it a little less painful if you dont plan on
fixing the package to do things right.  i agree completely that explicitly
specifying the --tag is the right solution.  i dont think the additional
overhead to the tag inferring is a real issue -- if you're inferring tags,
you're already doing it wrong ;).
-mike