HEADS-UP: git repo issues

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: HEADS-UP: git repo issues
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:26:45 +0200

Hello libtool list readers,

we messed up with your conversion from CVS to git.  More precisely,
when we announced that git would be the primary repo, it had
- all tags pointing to wrong trees,
- no signed tags,
- a seemingly bogus history for the tree before version 1.2c.

We have fixed the first two issues now, and are ignoring the last.
We might look into having the old CVS history available for people
who'd like to do archeology.

For you, that means, if you've cloned the git repository before now,
you will have to take some steps in order to have the right tags.
This is how you delete all local tags and fetch them again from
upstream (do not do this if you have added tags yourself locally!):
   git tag -d `git tag -l`
   git pull

At this point, 'git describe' should output something like
  release-2-2-2-12-g3b98dab
or
  v2.2.2-12-g3b98dab

and 'git show release-2-2' should point to
  9843ca8ed92bb1a76c4d1c4bd21b7d104c2a80e9

We'd like to apologize for the inconvenience.  We hope and will see to
it that such an issue will not happen again.