Re: move to git

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: move to git
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:13:15 +0200

"Dan Nicholson" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:53 AM, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>  > I don't quite understand what happened.  With the repo converted from
>>  > CVS, the tag SHAs were all different, but they already pointed to the
>>  > same tree object.  After the filter-branch rewrite, they now all have
>>  > the same SHA.  I suspect the bug happens earlier.  Jim, can you take
>>  > a look?
>>
>>  Hi Ralf,
>>  I'm beginning to think that our time might be better spent
>>  investigating an alternate conversion method: cvs2git.
>>  Unfortunately, I might not have time for that right away.
>
> Just a thought, but nearly all of the freedesktop.org projects
> (including all of X) were converted using Keith Packard's parsecvs
> tool. I haven't heard of anyone complaining of incorrect history.
>
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/keithp/parsecvs.git;a=summary

That's exactly what I used.
Note however, that parsecvs is not robust.
With a slightly unusual ,v file, it's easy to make it segfault.
I've encountered at least 3 repositories that it is unable to convert.
I think cvs2git will be better.

BTW, I suspect that parsecvs is unmaintained, since my recent patch
to make it work with newer versions of git has evoked no reply,
and the patch has not appeared in the repository.